Oh Dear...

O'Fischl_Farm

Oh Dear...

Post by O'Fischl_Farm » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:52 pm

I just spent $90 on 25 chicks from Strombergs. I know that's stupid expensive, but I want to hatch and raise my own strain of meat birds. Yeah, that does kind of seem unnecessary, but hear me out:

A few weeks ago I began a quest to find a slower growing meat bird that could breed naturally, be butcher-ready by 15 weeks, and has *white* feathers. I found not a damn thing that fit my criteria. From what I have read, CornishX are a blend of 4 major crossings between birds like White Cornish and White Rocks. But who really knows what the exact crosses are? It's a closely guarded corporate secret. Most of the personal hatcheries online like McMurrays don't even have breeding flocks of these birds - rather they purchase them from bigger commercial farms that don't even sell to "normal" farms and only deal with factories that purchase chicks by the thousands. Ok, I thought, I will just get some white cornish then. Guess what? I can't find any large fowl White Cornish for sale anywhere. The industry has an almost complete monopoly on these birds from what I can tell. The only hatching eggs or chicks I've seen sell go for HUNDREDS of dollars on rarebreedauction. Ok... what's the next best thing? There's white-laced red Cornish out there... I can only find one hatchery that isn't "sold out" of white-laced red Cornish (Strombergs) and coincidentally they also had White Rocks available. The wheels have been turning in my head...

So here goes... I'm on a new adventure of breeding my own perfect meat bird. We will see how far I get. If breeding Cream Legbars taught me anything, it was that breeding is a TON of work if you want to do it correctly. I had to sell my original hens and start over with better stock for this coming Spring.
Birds of a feather... use social media together!

EggSlayer

Re: Oh Dear...

Post by EggSlayer » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:20 pm

I am interested in hearing about this venture. I would probably be interested in testing out some of your "new" birds. Keep us posted!
Collecting eggs, one at a time..

EggSlayer

Re: Oh Dear...

Post by EggSlayer » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:51 pm

https://www.strombergschickens.com/prod ... g-Chickens I found some White Rock birds, are they part of the Meat bird equation?
Collecting eggs, one at a time..